do your own research
There are many online resources available to help you do your own research. If you do not have access to the internet, there is a public computer available at the Farmers’ Advocacy Office, and we are there to help you access it.
Just a reminder – laws differ from province to province for oil and gas activities, and between provincially and federally regulated activities, so make sure you’re looking in the right place. If you’re not sure – look at pages 26 – 31 Understanding the Process.
Statutes & Regulations
- Administrative Tribunals Act [SBC 2004] c. 45
- Expropriation Act [RSBC 1996] c. 125
- Land Title Act [RSBC 1996] c. 250
- Oil & Gas Activities Act
- Petroleum & Natural Gas Act
- Surface Lease Regulation BC Reg. 497/74
- Pipeline Act [RSBC 1996] c. 395 and Regulations were repealed in October, 2010 by the Oil and Gas Activities Act. This repealed Act can be found at www.bclaws.ca for information purposes but documents referring to the provisions of this Act should be amended before signing
- Your Well Site and Surface Lease Rights
National Energy Board Act
- Decisions of the Surface Rights Board (formerly the Mediation and Arbitration Board)
- Oil & Gas Appeal Tribunal Decisions
- CANLII CanLII’s goal is to make Canadian law accessible for free on the Internet.
- British Columbia Court of Appeal and Supreme Court – Search Judgments
- Alberta Courts – Search Judgments
- Law Society of Saskatchewan – Search Case Digests 1987 to date
- BC Oil & Gas Commission – Public Zone
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers – Responsible Development
- Canadian Energy Pipeline Association
- Ministry of Environment & Climate Change Strategy
- National Energy Board – Safety & Environment
- The Pembina Institute
- PRRD Interactive Web Map
- Understand the Legal Survey Systems
- Google Earth Pro / Google Maps
- B.C. Data Catalogue – Many layers of map data can be downloaded from the B.C. Data Catalogue and viewed in Google Earth. Contact the Farmers’ Advocacy Office for tips on how to download and view the data, as well as what datasets might be most helpful.
- iMapBC – This user friendly site allows the user to get similar information to what is available on Google Earth and provides more attributes of the various wells, facilities and pipelines, minus the satellite imagery.
- NEB Pipeline Portal
- Land Title and Survey Authority Online Cadastre
- Soil Capability Maps – Descriptive Legend